Monday, October 29, 2007

Broken Leg!!

Updating Jen's previous post, apparently Sanders has broken his leg from his little tumble off the couch. The poor little guy sure has had a rough start to it all. Before taking the x-rays, the vet initially thought that it might be his femur that was broken, which would have been funny (in an ironic way, not a "ha-ha" way), as I broke my femur when I was kid, and the femur is one of the rarest bones to break. As it turns out, it's not his femur. His tibia is fractured in 2 places. I also broke my tibia as a child, but that is another story. Apparently the breaks form a sort of "Y" shape and are small cracks, not full-on breaks, so that is good.

Since Jen was the only one there when he fell off the couch, and she was upset about it, I tried to lighten the mood a little by joking with her that she must have Munchausen Syndrome Byproxy. (Munchausen Syndrome Byproxy, for those that don't know, is the condition where mothers secretly hurt or poison their own children in an attempt to gain attention for themselves...For some reason, this is one of the arcane bits of information that stuck to my brain and I have never been able to forget). Anyway, as you can imagine, Jen didn't see nearly as much humor in my crack-diagnosis as I did, so I eventually had to drop it. Fortunately, I know how to drop things withOUT breaking their legs! (Sorry, Jen, you married me)

In all seriousness, we feel very bad for the little guy. Jen is on her way to the vet now to pick him up (insert bad joke here). The vet is sticking a splint on and told Jen he should be fully healed in 6 weeks. I imagine he's going to have to have the splint replaced before that or he'll outgrow it, but I don't know. Maybe it won't take that long to heal.

1 comment:

Eric and Paula said...

Poor Sanders..but I have to say, Tony that was one of the most hilarious posts I have ever read. I am still laughing about the Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. -Paula