Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day 3 A.D.



















Getting a dog is a BIG ADJUSTMENT, isn't it? :) We learned that on Saturday night after getting home with Sanders that he was going to challenge our nerves the next few nights. We put him in his crate for bed that first night, and Tony slept on the couch so the puppy could see him. Sanders barked for about 30 minutes before calling it quits and falling asleep. I got up at 2:45AM to take him outside to pee...which was successful! Yay! Put him back in his crate, and after 10-15 minutes of barking, he was asleep until Day 1 A.D. (After Dog) at 7AM.

Sunday (Day 1 AD) was fun...he met grandma and grandpa Thackery...and pretty much just sat at our feet during the day. He also met the neighbors, Brooke and Colby....he loves Brooke (who is in 2nd grade). During the day, he used the bathroom outside when he was supposed to, and only had one small accident in the afternoon. Sounds like a pretty good puppy, huh?

Oh brother....Sunday night Sanders showed us his spirit....and how he isn't a quitter. Just like his namesake Bob Sanders of the Colts. Well, let me summarize the evening by saying, Tony and I didn't get more than 1 hour of sleep. I am NOT exagerating! Sanders was having some MAJOR separation anxiety. He barked/howled/whined all night long. I took him out to go potty a couple of times....and rather than going, he just sat at my feet. I'd take a step, and he'd run up and hug my leg like "Mom...don't leave me again!!"

So yesterday, Day 2 AD...I was working from home. We went to the first vet visit to have them check out Sanders. The vet was awesome...and Sanders was fine as we poked and prodded. Ends up he has an ear infection already. So, I get to start treating him daily by filling his ears up with this medicine. He is so trusting and actually lets us do it without too much of a struggle. What a good puppy. Then we came home, and everytime Sanders would take a drink, I'd take him out...then he wouldn't go. Then he'd sniff around and start going on the floor...then I'd take him out and he'd finish. *Sigh* I don't think it was the smartest idea to take him out every time after he drank. I think he is associating drinking with being able to go outside, which he loves. In the evening, friends came over to play, and Sanders officially has his new favorite toy. a green fuzzy monkey that squeaks. He loves it so much that he is carrying it around.

Sleeping last night was a bit better. He went into his crate and didn't cry when I shut the door. He slept most of the night with just a couple times of whining. Of course the whining and barking is interfering with our REM sleep..and we're still exhausted this morning.

Starting today, I am putting him on a schedule and trying to get him to go out only at 7, 12, 5 and 10. We'll see how that works. I never knew how much time a puppy could take, especially while trying to house train him. I have only been exposed to indoor dogs. I've never actually had one. Trying to read a curly fur covered puppy's facial expressions to know to take him outside to pee is a hard thing! Oh, and on top of that, I tried to start mixing in a new puppy food that the breeder had recommended (about 1/4 of the mix) .....what did that result in? Projectile liquid poop. EWWWW....Unfortunately, this was in the house...but I got him to stop and finish outside. Right now he is sleeping at my feet...which is becoming the norm. We'll also try to work with him on a leash today. We did a little yesterday, and it went pretty well.

Time to try to get some work done while the pooch is asleep!