Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Parasites and First walk on a leash, 4 AD

I got a call from the vet late yesterday afternoon. Ends up he has a parasite known as Giardia. It causes diarrhea. That explains a lot from yesterday. So now I get to put the pooch on not only 2 types of ear drops, but have to feed him medicine to eliminate the parasite and hopefully stop the diarrhea. *sigh* One vet bill after another. So far in 3 days, I have spent over $100 for diagnostic tests and medicine. This is on top of the normal puppy check up/vaccination. I wonder if this is common with new puppies?

Sanders did much better last night. He cried for about 20 minutes, then went to sleep. I got up after 5 hours and took him out, where he went pee immediately! He is getting the hang of this. Then he only cried about 10 minutes or so when I put him back in the crate.

We think in the morning that he hears our alarms go off, and he knows that we're up. So after the morning routine of potty, play and eat...I decided to take him on his first leash walk. We actually made it 2 blocks! He did really great! Of course, he had me training myself how to hold the leash so he couldn't trip me. I nearly bit it a couple of times...but now I have the hang of it. I need to go buy a retractable leash to help prevent that problem later.

Another day begun, and I'm working as he sleeps under my chair. I think we're getting this schedule thing down!!

2 comments:

Eric and Paula said...

We just finished with our second round of treatment on Vince for Giardia. Yes, it's a common puppy thing; they can pick the parasite up just by sniffing around outside. FYI, some petsmarts have Banfield animal hospitals and they offer a great "first year care" program. It's a monthly fee for unlimited visits and all first year vaccinations. (Doesn't cover diagnositic test though.)

Sanders looks great, glad to see that there are actually eyes on that puppy! (Couldn't see any eyes on the ones on the breeders website.)

Hang in there!

Erica said...

Ah the days of vet bills and potty training...I miss them =)

Sanders looks very cute in the colts gear!

I took Jack to the Allisonvill Animal Clinic and they had a new puppy package deal. I cannot remember how much it was, but it did same me some $.